16 to 22 Goose Gate
The first Boots Department Store
Originally three units, these were converted into the very fine and unusual Victorian shop front that we see today by architect Richard Sutton in 1883.
The person who commissioned this work was none other than Jesse Boot who later went on to build the 'Boots The Chemist' empire of shops and the huge manufacturing plant on the western edge of the city near to Beeston.
This was one of the very first ever department stores and sold a whole range of products in addition to drugs for which the brand is best known.
Since these pictures were taken a plaque has been installed to commemorate the premises being the first Boots department store.
© Ray Teece 25-08-201