LLoyds No. 1 Bar
(Originally Wright's Bank)
1 Carlton Street
An interesting little building that was originally built for Wright's Bank, (a Nottingham family). it became The Capital & Counties Bank in 1898 and was then absorbed into Lloyds Bank in 1918.
Designed by a Mr. C. H. Edwards, originally, it wasn't so small and early pictures and an 1860 drawing of the bank in 'The Builder' magazine show that it was an imposing building that extended to two matching wings on either side of what now remains. The wing to the left survives, modified on the ground floor to form shops, but the wing to the right appears to have been demolished and the site re-developed.
This is now part of the J D Wetherspoon chain
© Ray Teece 14-07-2014