Nottingham Buildings

The Loggerheads Public House

Cliff Road
(Cliff Road was originally named Red Lion Street)

This is a very old pub that was first mentioned in the city records in 1743.  It sits in an area that was once marshland at the bottom of the sandstone cliff that once defended the southern approach to the old city. Above it is The Shire Hall Court building and it's prison.  It is one of the few buildings to survive the Narrow Marsh slum clearance and legend has it that it was once the base of the notorious highwayman 
Dick Turpin and his associates.

Post-script
23-11-2009 - The Nottingham Evening Post reported that this pub has now closed for business and that it's future is uncertain.

  Ray Teece 29-06-2006

NB00288

RETURN

NEXT