The Birkin Warehouse & Offices
This warehouse was designed by Thomas Chambers Hine and built in 1853/55 for Richard Birkin, one of the great Nottingham lace manufacturers. Birkin & Co Ltd. was established earlier in 1827 and Richard was responsible for several important developments in the Levers lace machine.
The lace was
actually manufactured at a plant in Gladstone Street, Basford, then sent
to the Hickling building for dyeing before coming here to be cut,
finished and dispatched to customers around the world.
© Ray Teece 07-06-2006