Nottingham Arboretum Park - 160th Anniversary

 

 

 


Two of the four cannon were captured in 1854 in Sebastopol during The Crimean War.
The other two cannon are replicas that were cast to enable one to be mounted on each of the four corners of the monument.

 


This tower was designed by Nottingham Borough Engineer, Marriott Ogle Tarbotton and erected in 1862-3 to house the Chinese bell captured in the Chinese City of Canton in 1857 by the British Army during the Opium Wars.

The bell hanging here now is a replica. The original was donated to The East Lancashire Regimental Museum in Preston in 1956

Nottingham Arboretum - The Bell Tower & Garden 

  Ray Teece  13-05-2012

NP00131

RETURN